How to become a real estate agent in BC.
- The Real Estate Council of British Columbia is the regulatory agency responsible for licensing individuals and brokerages engaged in real estate sales, rentals and strata property management. Their website contains the requirements to become a licensed real estate agent in British Columbia.
- Refer to the Council’s Step-by-Step Licensing Guide for an overview of the training required sell real estate in BC.
- In order to attain your real estate licence, you must complete the Real Estate Trading Services Licensing Course offered through the University of British Columbia’s Sauder School of Business, Real Estate Division. This is a self-paced correspondence course comprised of 20 multiple-choice assignments and a 3-hour multiple choice final exam. Most individuals complete it within six months based on completing one assignment per week, usually spending 10 – 12 hours per assignment.
- Starting a career in real estate requires an investment, as you are starting your own business. Consider the startup costs.
- Think about enrolling in an accelerated learning program to ensure you pass the exam.
- Approximately 2 – 3 months before planning on activating your real estate license, we recommend you register for our LaunchPad program. LaunchPad is a facilitated internship that teaches you the foundations necessary for building your real estate business.
- Find the right brokerage for you to commence your real estate career and to become licensed. Learn more about RE/MAX and register for an information session. Join us for Career Night!
- When you have successfully completed your pre-licensing exam you must take the BCREA Applied Practice Course (either the Commercial or Residential version). This is a requirement for you to be accepted by a brokerage. You will spend 2.5 weeks (2 weeks online and 2 days in class) in the course before you are licensed and a further 4.5 months overseen by your Managing Broker as you complete in-field assignments.